Non-OSA Member: Violin Viola Workshop Weekend: 31 March-2 April 2017
Oakville Suzuki Violin – Viola Workshop 2017 (non-OSA member information
Non Oakville Suzuki Association Members:
We welcome non-OSA students to come to our Violin - Viola workshop. However, the curriculum is based on the Suzuki method, so the workshops are only open to those who are from other Suzuki associations.
This year’s Violin - Viola workshop offers group sessions, master classes, and improvisation classes. Our guest teachers are Laura Nerenberg from Ottawa (Violin group sessions, master classes, and improvisation), Margot Jewell from Etobicoke (Violin group sessions, violin – viola master classes and viola group session) and Maureen O’Leary from Mississauga (Irish Dance). All classes will take place at Queen Elizabeth Park Community and Cultural Centre on Bridge Road in Oakville.
PLEASE NOTE: Registration is REQUIRED for ALL workshop attendees: we will NOT be able to accept students who have not registered in advance.
Registration for OSA Members:
If you are currently a member of the OSA and wish to register for the 2017 Violin Workshop, please register from the following link instead: OSA Member Workshop Registration
Violin Group Workshop Sessions (for everyone):
Each Violin Group workshop session offers two activities: 1) a group class with one of our violin guest teachers, and 2) an Irish Dance class. Levels G and H will each have a group class with one the violin guest teachers; followed by a combined play-in. Students scheduled in the morning receive two 45-minute session and students programmed in the afternoon, two one-hour sessions.
- Book 1: The entire book
- Book 2: The entire book
- Book 3: The entire book
- Book 4: Seitz Concerto no. 3rd movement, Bohm Perpetual Motion
- Book 5: Vivaldi A minor concerto, 2nd movement
- Book 6: Fiocco Allegro
Class level key:
- Level A: Students playing Twinkle to Go Tell Aunt Rhody
- Level B: Students playing O Come Little Children to Andantino
- Level C: Students playing Etude to Happy Farmer
- Level D: Students playing Gossec Gavotte to Long, Long Ago
- Level E: Students playing Waltz to Boccherini Minuet
- Level F: Students playing Martini Gavotte to Seitz Concerto no. 5, 3rd movement
- Level G: Students members of Preludio as well as students playing Vivaldi A minor Concerto up to the end of Book 5
- Level H: Students members of Vivace as well as Book 6 and up students
Fee for Workshop Classes (non-OSA member):
- Students who are Suzuki trained (e.g. members of another Suzuki association): $75
Improvisation Classes (optional extra activity):
Musical improvisation triggers the imagination and expresses it through sounds. Shinichi Suzuki said that every child is born with the potential to develop great ability. Alice Kanack said that every child is born with the potential to develop great creativity. Through “Creativity Ability Development” – which Ms. Kanack developed in the 1980s at the urging of Dr. Suzuki, Suzuki violin and CAD teacher, Laura Nerenberg will guide students through games, exercises and pieces specifically created to nurture each child’s creativity. In a safe and non-judgemental environment, students will delve into new and familiar musical realms exploring the building blocks of music (rhythm, melody, and harmony) in an experiential way – by playing their instruments. Parents are asked to remain present to enjoy the class and take notes as they would in a regular Suzuki group class. Hand-outs with references and resources will be provided to continue nurturing your child’s creativity after the workshop.
This optional, enrichment class runs over two days: Friday, March 31 and Sunday, April 2. We recommend taking the two-day course to take full advantage of the instruction. You also have the option of choosing one the two classes offered for an initiation to improvisation. This course is open to violinists, violists, and cellists. NOTE: there is an extra fee for these classes.
Improvisation class levels:
- Improvisation Junior (for Book 2 and 3 students): Classes are offered Friday, March 31, 5:00 to 6:00 pm and Sunday, April 2, 11:30 am to 12:30 pm
- Improvisation Senior (for Book 4 and up students): Classes are offered Friday, March 31, 6:00 to 7:00 pm and Sunday, April 2, 12:30 pm to 1:30 pm
Parents are asked to observe and take notes in these classes as they would during group lessons.
Fee for Junior or Senior Improvisations Classes (non-OSA member, optional):
- $40 for both days (Friday and Sunday)
- $20 for one day (either Friday or Sunday)
Master Classes (optional extra activity):
Master classes give the opportunity to students to have one-on-one instruction with our guest teachers and to observe the instruction of others. There are time slots allocated for each level starting from Level B. (See above for details about each level.) They are offered Saturday and Sunday morning. Master class availability is limited: please register early. NOTE: there is an extra fee for these classes.
Fee for Master Classes (non-OSA member, optional):
- Junior master classes (for students registered in Class B to F): 15 minutes each (3 students per class): $40
- Senior master classes (For students registered in Levels G or H): 20 minutes each (3 students per class): $50
Please note: Space is limited for the master classes and OSA member students will have priority. If you would like to register to participate in the master class you will have the opportunity to contact the registrar to be notified if there is space available.
Viola Group Classes:
The viola group class includes a group session and a master class with Margot Jewell. Violinists participating in the workshop and wishing to join the viola group session are welcome to attend (No extra fee will be charged to them). However, viola master classes are offered in priority to students whose viola is their primary instrument. Fee for Viola Group Class: $75
|Workshop fee (non-OSA member)||$ 75.00|
|Junior Improvisation Class Selection (If available)|
|Junior Improv Friday|
|Junior Improv Sunday|
|Senior Improvisation Class Selection (If available)|
|Senior Improv Friday|
|Senior Improv Sunday|
|Violin Master Class Interest (If available)|
|Level B:Students playing O Come Little Children to Andantino|
|Level C: Students playing Etude to Happy Farmer|
|Level D: Students playing Gossec Gavotte to Long, Long Ago|
|Level E & F: Students playing Waltz to Seitz Concerto no. 5, 3rd movement|
|Level G & H: Preludio, Vivace, and students playing Vivaldi A minor Concerto and up|